Sunday, May 8, 2011

Stuff happens! How to avoid "stuff" to read the Word.

I've been reading a great eBook this week called "Don't ask stupid questions" by Tim Brownson and I was particulary challenged by a chaper called "Stuff happens!!"

He starts the chapter off reflecting on his day... "I was determined to take it easy and just relax. I had worked every day for 10 straight days and envisioned a day by the pool maybe even with a cold beer and a good book. I like relaxing, it’s enjoyable and good for you so why wouldn’t anybody do it as much as possible?

I’ll tell you why, because of.... Stuff, that’s why.

Stuff is designed to stop you doing what you really want to do, Stuff expands to fill available time, Stuff arrives when you least expect it and Stuff does its utmost to throw you off track. It has a contract to adhere to because its job is to test you to the limits of your endurance and then just a little bit more. Like a maternal aunt that doesn’t realize she outstayed her welcome in 6 months ago, Stuff will hang around ad infinitum if you don’t throw it out."

As I was reading this a thought dawned on me, that "stuff" interfere's with all areas of my life, but I was particulary struck with how "stuff" interferes with my bible reading and time with God. I start the day with the best intensions, but then "stuff happens"... the laundry floods, the kids are sick, an urgent email comes in, but not all of my "stuff" is bad, I have friends pop over for coffee, I chat on the phone to family, I fall asleep on the couch. But it's all "stuff" and it has taken over my day. I was pondering this and feeling a little overwhelmed when I read the next paragraph from Tim's eBook.

"Can Stuff be beaten?
Oh yes, it surely can if only we remember how. Unlike nature, Stuff loves a vacuum. It loves it because that’s its job, to fill it and fill it quickly. So don’t give it chance! Plan out your day, even the ones that do not involve work. If you need 4 hours to chill and relax then write it down in your planner or on your calendar as you would any other appointment, the same goes for the gym, or meditating or even watching TV if that is what helps you relax. Be selfish with your time when you need to be.

This sounds like a lot of trouble and if Stuff never manages to get its talons in you then it may be unnecessary. However, if you are the type of person that gets to the end of the day and wonders where it went and why you didn’t get much done. Then you need to act and act quickly."

Question: Is Stuff dominating your life and if so, what do you intend to do about it?

I realised I need to plan ahead and to set my time with God as a higher priority than it has been and to not let "stuff" get in the way between me and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment