Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The kings disturbing dream. Daniel 2

SCRIPTURE
Daniel 2: 14-19
14 When Arioch, the commander of the king's guard, came to kill them, Daniel handled the situation with wisdom and discretion.15 He asked Arioch, "Why has the king issued such a harsh decree?" So Arioch told him all that had happened.16 Daniel went at once to see the king and requested more time to tell the king what the dream meant.
17 Then Daniel went home and told his friends Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah what had happened.18 He urged them to ask the God of heaven to show them his mercy by telling them the secret, so they would not be executed along with the other wise men of Babylon.19 That night the secret was revealed to Daniel in a vision. Then Daniel praised the God of heaven.

OBSERVATION
Daniel uses amazing "wisdom and discretion" to what was his death call, to be willing to say and do all that he did. As I read this passage I am struck by 3 things: 1. Daniel's wisdom & discretion in a time of crisis. 2. Daniel's prayer (him and his friends) when he has found out the problem, he seeks God's insight. 3. Daniel's praise to God as soon as he receives the vision.

Daniel's reactions to these circumstances challenge me, how do I react?

APPLICATION
I'm not sure that if I was in Daniel position, (facing death) that I would have responded the same way Daniel did with wisdom, prayer and praise. Often when I'm faced with a crisis (not that I've had anything like Daniel) I jump right in, making quick decisions (good or bad) and don't really give them much thought.

PRAYER
Lord, I pray for wisdom, not for my own sake, or my own glory but Lord that through wisdom your name would be gloried and praised. Just as Daniel praised as soon as he had received the vision from you, Lord I pray that my heart would immediately turn to praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment